What Happened After Nauvoo?

I’ve finally got myself in gear and got round to updating this post. Short answer, a lot has happened! Only ten days after returning from Nauvoo I left home again – this time it was over to Manchester for the first EFY the UK has ever seen. At first I thought urgh, why do I want to go to EFY? I was just in one of those moods. I won’t go into detail, but EFY was absolutely fantastic. I was so glad to be a part of it. One of the best part of it was the fact that the group leaders were so highly motivated and determined to make it enjoyable for us. It rubbed off on us very quickly and a great time was had by all. There were also a few great spiritual experiences such as the testimony meetings and singing the EFY medley.

After EFY it was back home again – time to start job hunting. Job hunting took some time. Inbetween, I did jobs for my Dad and continued my computer repair work. In total, I managed to use up two precious months of my life – I didn’t achieve much, just kept searching and doing odd-jobs.

Finally, one afternoon whilst job hunting, I found the perfect job. The position was for an IT Assistant (computer/network technician guy) at a local four star hotel – I knew where the hotel was and what it was like so I got in touch with them straight away. I was informed that an application form would be sent to me. Sure enough, one was and it turned up only two day later. Still excited about the new job, I filled it in and took it to the hotel in person. As I pulled up in the carpark someone came out to greet me – how pleasant. On the way in we talked about the weather!

Once inside, I handed over the paperwork and was told that it would be sent to the right place. That’s that! A few weeks down the line, I got a call from the IT Manager saying he’d like me to go for an interview. Of course, I accepted and it was arranged for the following Tuesday. Slowly but surely, Tuesday came around and it was time to get ready for the interview. I was rather nervous all the way there but upon arrival, I was a little more at ease, especially when I was greeted in the carpark again. I told the receptionist why I was there and was invited to take a seat. A few minutes later the IT manager came into reception and greeted me. We then went off to one of the lounges for the interview.

Again, I wont go into great detail but the interview went really well. I also got on well with the IT Manager (Mr H). Mr H thanked me for coming and told me that I would hear the results in a weeks (roughly, can’t remember it was so long ago now) time. The set date arrived but by lunch time I hadn’t heard anything so I called my Pop (Dad) for advice. He said just to call them. I’d thought about it earlier but didn’t want to sound like I was pestering. I took his advice and called.

Mr H: Oh, haven’t you heard?

Me: Nope

Mr H: Oh right, I’ll call you back in a minute, don’t move from the phone.

Me: OK, thanks. Bye

(Nervous pacing up and down the hallway)

Phone: Ring Ring

Mr H: Hello Matthew, I’m pleased to tell you that we’d like to offer you the job.

Me: Brilliant! Fantastic! Thanks very much.

Mr H: You’ll be starting in two weeks time………..

A little later, the conversation ended! I was sooooooooooooooo pleased. It was exactly what I had been looking for, and now I had it. I quickly called numerous people to tell them the news.

A few weeks later, I started the job. It got off to a bit of a slow start, but as I got to know everyone things picked up really well. Things are still going really really well nearly 3 months down the line. I’ll start posting more regularly so you can find out what I get up to in my job.

That’s all for now!

Leave a Reply